The NBA G League is back after the All-Star Break provided players and staff with a much needed break heading into the home stretch of the 2017-18 season. This also means the Hustle are back at the Landers Center on Wednesday at 7 p.m. for its second matchup of the season with the Northern Arizona Suns.
Hustle fans might remember the previous meeting on New Year’s Eve particularly well. Due to injuries, two-way player traveling out West with the Grizzlies and a one-game suspension for two players, the Hustle only had six available in their afternoon matinee. However, the Hustle were able to overcame a 14-point deficit at the end of the first quarter to pick up a win heading into 2018. Dusty Hannahs tied the Hustle franchise record with 33 points to lead the team while three others picked up double-doubles.
Tickets for Wednesday’s game are still available starting at $10 and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at all Ticketmaster locations, ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP. For the remainder of the 2017-18 regular season, fans who bring their receipt from any Tanger Outlet store (5205 Airways Blvd, Southaven, MS 38671) to the Landers Center Box Office will receive a free Hustle game ticket with the purchase of another ticket. In return, fans who bring their Hustle game ticket to shopper services at Tanger Outlets will receive a free coupon book, good for great deals. For more details, visit memphishustle.com.
Hustle Stats to Watch
– From Shelby County: The Northern Arizona Suns lead the league in three-pointers made (14.9) while ranking second in attempts (39.9) and fifth in percentage (37.3). However, the Hustle are more efficient from beyond the arc, ranking second in three-point percentage (38.1)
– Swatstin: Forward Austin Nichols has developed into one of the league’s top shot blockers in his rookie season. Recently, Nichols posted multiple blocks in six straight games, averaging 3.17 bpg during that span and marking the longest such stretch for the Hustle this season. Since Jan. 26, Nichols is second in the league in total blocks (22) and fourth in blocks per game (2.44) with a minimum of three games played. Additionally, he has catapulted himself up to sixth in the league in blocks per game this season (1.88).
– Welcome Brice: In his second game with the Hustle new Grizzlies forward and assignee Brice Johnson posted 17 and 12 rebounds on 7-of-11 shooting. In his four NBA G League games prior to being acquired by the Grizzlies, Johnson averaged 19.8 points and 14.2 rebounds per game.
– Silas and Goodwin: Over the Suns’ last five games, Xavier Silas (24.8 ppg) and Archie Goodwin (23.8 ppg) are combining to average 48.6 points, 11.8 rebounds and 5.2 assists per game.
– Suns assistant coach Earl Barron played at the University of Memphis from 1999-2003 and is a native of Clarksdale, Miss.
– New Hustle guard Mark Tyndale and Suns forwards Lavoy Allen and Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson all played at Temple University… Tyndale and Allen were teammates for one season (2007-08).